Thursday, February 12, 2009

These are the times

I've missed a couple days posting, the first time, because I forgot to post, and the second, because I kept falling asleep and having weird dreams in which, for example, a serial killer would shoot children who may or may not be demon spawn in the head and then time travel a week into the future and leave them on public transportation.

In order to sum up the past few days, let's talk about moments.

Tuesday was fairly uneventful, and the only really striking moment was when I saw a former teacher on the street and he turned his entire body while walking and talking on his cell phone so as to avoid acknowledging me.

I knew Wednesday was going to be a good day when I was able to remove an eyelash from my eyeball WITHOUT removing or even disturbing my contact lens on said eye.

That same day, I used the subjunctive in my Italian class, and my teacher remarked, "Oooh, the subjunctive!"  My feelings of this reaction are mixed.  I was (a) proud of myself for having correctly used the mode without thinking about it (although it's a phrase I use often) and because the teacher pointed it out (b) embarrassed at having been called out for using proper grammar because it makes me look overzealous (c) frustrated, because all I had intended was to answer the question she had asked me grammatically, and in order to say what I truly wanted to say, I needed the subjunctive!  Of course I made grievous pronunciation errors, anyway.

There was the moment this morning, on my way home from Italian class, when I heard a guy whistling the first few notes of, "Get Back" by The Beatles.  The first thought that came to my mind when I realized that that was what he was whistling was, "Hey, that's me.  That's who I really am."  It reminded me of when I was more of an individualist (and, yes, yet I listened to The Beatles) angsty teenager brimming with ideas and creativity.  Now?  Not so much.  The song was doubly significant, actually, because of its lyrics, "Get back to where you once belonged."  I started wondering, "Where do I belong?"  I still don't fully have the answer, but if I've strayed from that place, I'm going to have to find the answer, obviously, in order to get back there.  

I thought my classmates were annoyed with me today, but it turns out that my comments had reminded them of Derrida, so I had really only annoyed them by the transitive property.  Sadly, this is not the first time my ramblings have been likened to those of that dude (with whose works I am not even familiar.).
My professor did, however, cause me to burst into near-hysterical laugher (I suppressed myself) when he said that they didn't have paternity DNA tests in the middle ages.

I just had a moment.  It involved me realizing I only have a quarter of a can left of Diet Coke.  This is how stressed I am, people!  I wasn't even aware of such a gross deficit!  In addition, this is out of the 12 pack I bought Sunday evening, and I don't even think I started the pack that day.

1 comment:

  1. At least you didn't say "En Virginie" and have it misconstrued as "Oui, engagé". Ughhh, what is my ridiculous life?

    ...Also, there was the TA fail with DHA.

    ReplyDelete