Sunday, March 8, 2009

Lights out frustration

It's the middle of the day and in the mid-sixties, so no, a power outage does not seem completely dire at the moment.  However, I'm a bit frustrated.  I was skating at the Ice Arena at approximately 3:25pm today when the whole rink went black.  Some back-up lights soon came on, but the skate guards soon ushered us off the ice, anyway.  Thinking that this blackout was probably going to last longer than 35 minutes, when Public Skate would have ended, I packed up my bag and hauled ass (not without effort, since the wind kept blowing me gallywest (actually east) part of the way) to Walgreens, only to find that although they must have backup lights, their cash registers were off-line.  I continued down Green Street, trash swirling low around me, past all the stores with no lights on, and ended up in the Union bathroom, in which there was no light, and no one around me was speaking English (I felt like my aunt in the CSO lockeroom).
     I was pretty apathetic to the inconveniences that I'd come across since, as I said, it is a nice day and it's still during daylight hours.  But then I realized, I'm on my LAST glass of Diet Coke, and the vending machines probably don't work, nor do any stores' cash registers.  I thought, well, so what, I'm out of Diet Coke, I can always make coffee.  ENHHH.  No coffee.  That would require a coffee MACHINE powered by electricity.  But WAIT, I have some leftover coffee in the refrigerator.  Wrong again.  I can't reheat it without my microwave or my stove, both of which are electric.  It's got milk in it, which is going to go bad and make it nasty and rancid by the time I want to drink it.
     Still, I'm really having trouble getting angry.  I know everything is going to be all right, and although I may lose some groceries which I'd been trying to stock up in the name of being economical, but it's no big deal, right?

2 comments:

  1. I am similarly apathetic about the power outages, though it is giving me some compelling reasons to work. Crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I started reading one of the Barbacoa articles, but I'm not paying sufficient attention to it.

    ReplyDelete